Derby Women’s Centre is looking forward to working together with the NCS once lockdown is completely eased and it is safe to operate courses once again. But before then you can still access the NCS for help and for courses.
The National Careers Service
What is our service?
The National Careers Service offers information, advice and guidance to adults on employment and learning. It is government funded and is completely free of charge.
Who is entitled to the National Careers Service advice and support?
- Anyone aged 18+ – furloughed, at risk of redundancy, employed and unemployed adults
- Living in the East Midlands
Our staff are:
- Friendly, supportive and adaptable to customer needs
- Impartial and able to advise on and refer to a wide range of local provision
Delivered via the telephone, Skype or MS Teams, we provide one to one support on a range of subjects to assist adults to develop their skills and enter work. We specialise in:
- Career planning: advice on choosing new careers that match skills and abilities
- Helping to understanding the local labour market; we explain what skills are in demand, which employers are recruiting, how many live vacancies are there in specific roles / sectors
- Providing advice on developing new skills and linking adults to a wide range of free training courses in a number of sectors
- Supporting people to find employment, by advice and resources on how to get the best from job seeking websites, social media and the hidden jobs market
- Application form advice: guidance on how to develop winning applications that meet the need of the employer
- Providing Interview skills and mock interviews: tips on planning and preparation, the types of interview and questions to expect
- Advising o
- n covering letters: how to gain the attention of prospective employers
- CV support: for those new to CVs or with an existing. Our support ensures that CVs are targeted and that the information will help the CV to stand out from the crowd
- Linking customers to local partners offering further advice, training and opportunities
Post our initial support, our customers are provided with further help via:
- Additional, digital one to one appointments
- SMS / text
How to access the service
To arrange an appointment the partner service or customer can contact:
- Telephone: 09718905998
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Appointments are normally available within two working days of contact.
Here is a small example of the courses available, a good number of these are free to employed as well as unemployed.
- Information, Advice and Guidance
- Business Administration / Business
- Children / Teaching
- Customer Service
- Personal and Social Skills
- Environment studies
- Equality and Diversity
- English & Maths
- Game Design
- Health and Social Care
- IT & ECDL
- Mental Health Awareness
- Nutrition and Fitness / Wellbeing
- Social Media
- Team Leading
- Warehousing and Storage